Intern, Business Intelligence & Analytics – Toronto, Ontario
Job Posting #857539
Position: Intern, Business Intelligence & Analytics
Site: Hydro Building – 700 University Ave
Department: Princess Margaret Cancer Foundation
Reports to: Director, PMCF – Technology
Status: Temporary Full Time (4, 8, or 12 months)
Apply on UHN Recruitment Website
Do you want to be on a dynamic team that will Conquer Cancer In Our Lifetime? We are seeking a Business Intelligence & Analytics Intern who is ready to work in a fast-paced environment and is passionately inspired to utilize their data and analytics skills to help us deliver on our mission. The newly established analytics function’s core purpose is to deliver the right insights, to the right people, at the right time, that informs decision making to drive value – and we want you to help us.
This is not just about the role itself, but is equally about the opportunity for impact. This role presents a unique opportunity to join one of the top fundraising teams in Canada as we advance on our vision (which will be your vision): To Conquer Cancer in Our Lifetime.
About The Organization – The Princess Margaret Cancer Foundation
The Princess Margaret Cancer Foundation (The PMCF) is one of the world’s leading cancer charities. Our vision is to Conquer Cancer In Our Lifetime. The PMCF raises funds for Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, one of the top 5 cancer research centres in the world, to deliver future care now. For more than a decade, The PMCF has been on an aggressive growth trajectory. In 2019, we raised over $108 million, and for our fiscal year 2020, we are on track to raise even more.
Setting daring and audacious goals is a mindset that is driven by PMCF’s culture and passion to perform. We have pioneered many successful fundraising programs, including our world-leading Princess Margaret Home Lottery, and some of the world’s largest cancer fundraising events, including:
- The Weekend to Conquer Cancer
- Enbridge Ride to Conquer Cancer
- Scotiabank Road Hockey to Conquer Cancer
The PMCF has a strong track record of securing and stewarding major and estate gifts. We engage our supporters through annual campaigns, leadership and tribute giving, and more than 100 community events and ethnocultural programs.
Through our diverse and complementary portfolio of fundraising events, we attract over 300,000 gifts, 250,000 unique lottery purchasers, and 15,000 event participants and volunteers each year. And we engage with hundreds of corporate partners and their employees.
The PMCF has a distinguished board that engages in fundraising, and provides governance and support through a number of very active committees. Princess Margaret is a proud member of University Health Network, Canada’s largest research hospital network, which also includes Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Toronto Rehab Institute and The Michener Institute for Education. The Princess Margaret Cancer Foundation is relentless in its pursuit to fulfill its vision to Conquer Cancer In Our Lifetime.
The PMCF is pursuing a bold and ambitious agenda. If you have a passion for our cause, are a team player with a can-do attitude, have the right skills, and you would like to be part of the team that’s making the impossible possible—we would like to hear from you.
The Business Intelligence & Analytics Intern role, reporting to the Director of Business Intelligence & Analytics, will be a key member of the team, supporting the Foundation-wide data governance, analytics, and reporting services. In this role, under the guidance of the Director, the individual will seek to understand the informational needs of each business area and the organization as a whole, and will work with the team to deliver the multi-year analytics roadmap focused on data quality, list management, analysis, modeling, and reporting. We are seeking a highly motivated individual who is a proactive and resourceful problem solver, with a natural analytical way of thinking, who will see this position as a great opportunity to drive improvements in business performance as a result of being a data driven organization.
- Under the guidance of the Director, work with key business stakeholders within the fundraising and marketing teams, and across the whole organization, to encourage the use of data and reporting to improve decision making; help partner with leaders to discover and articulate analytical needs; define business intelligence opportunities which synthesize the data that is available into meaningful insights, driving tangible business results for the whole organization.
- Support the Foundation’s data quality initiative by partnering with data engineering and business partners to maintain the integrity of our master data which is critical to ensure reliable analysis.
- Assist in implementing effective list managements practices: optimizing the build processes, tracking lists usage, reporting on list results, and recommending improvements on subsequent iterations.
- Support the Director in analyzing data and building models, and delivering actionable recommendations to teams.
- Assist in building a dashboard of key performance metrics across each of our businesses.
Technical Skills & Capabilities
- Possesses experience (in or out of classroom setting) with analytics tools and technologies – we currently only use Excel, but are eager to begin leveraging SAS, SPSS, Python, and/or R.
- Experience using, or desire to learn, data visualization technologies – we currently use Power BI, but are open to exploring QLIK and Tableau.
- Experience (in or out of classroom) analyzing qualitative and quantitative data and delivering research in a timely fashion.
- Detail oriented, extremely well organized, and able to manage time and multi-task to accomplish a multitude of tasks, with conflicting priorities and timelines
- Exceptionally strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Knowledge of fundraising and philanthropic organizations and their business process models considered an asset.
Leadership & Interpersonal Skills
- Ability to partner with clients in a professional and courteous manner, and to develop and leverage professional working relationships.
- Highly inquisitive, and comfortable working with ambiguity.
- Exceptional analytical and problem solving skills.
- Able to multi-task under a highly demanding & continuously changing environment.
- Ability to work both independently, as well as to play a key role on the team.
Experience & Education
- Current undergraduate or graduate student, preferably in mathematics, statistical methods, data science, engineering, or related field.
- Enrolled in a co-op program considered an asset.
- Ability to work for 8 or 12-month contract considered an asset.
- Experience with analysis, data management, or a related field.
- Previous business consulting experience an asset.
- Experience with Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge, SQL, and Power BI considered an asset.
If you are interested in making your contribution at UHN, please apply on-line. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.
Posting date: April 29, 2020 Closing date: Until Filled
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN’s attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.