During a recent conversation with computer scientist Ed Lazowska of the University of Washington, Seattle, he alerted Science Careers to a very impressive analysis from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) looking into trends for science-related jobs and predictions for job growth between the present and 2020.
These are only projections, and job-market projections are generally not to be trusted. Yet, these come from an authoritative source, and the trends are hardly subtle. Here’s an image Lazowska put together from the BLS projections, reproduced here with permission:
- Coders Aren’t Assembly Line Workers
- Kids from kindergarten to Grade 12 should take Computer Science
- From the White House: Computer Science For All
- Computer Science Vital to a 21st Century Education: The Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) hails the new “Every Student Succeeds” Law.
- A is for Algorithm: Coding in Schools