The Agnes seeks a creative and resourceful Collections Data Assistant to be part of an exciting gallery! Reporting to the Collections Manager, the Collections Data Assistant is responsible for creating and implementing applications in support of collections management at the Agnes Etherington Art Centre. The Collections Data Assistant manages and undertakes the technical and procedural responsibilities to ensure the utilization of MIMSY XG’s functionality to advance collections and exhibition information management, while ensuring adherence to data standards across the MIMSY XG environment and furthering digitization of related media. Coordinating with the relevant Agnes staff, Queen’s Information Technology Services and Axiell’s support team, the Collections Data Assistant is responsible for training and assisting MIMSY XG users, developing and writing customized reports and providing database support.
- Working with Agnes stakeholders, gather and analyze requirements for reporting needs.
- Working with Agnes stakeholders, develop MIMSY XG workflows for exhibitions, loans and collections-related tasks and establish digitization protocols.
- Design, modify, develop and write reporting solutions using Crystal Reports.
- Modify MIMSY XG interface to optimize its functionality for Agnes Etherington Art Centre collections needs.
- Train and assist MIMSY XG users.
- Develop a MIMSY XG manual specific to the Agnes’s operations.
- Act as a liaison with Queen’s Information Technology Services and Axiell’s support team.
- Complete degree or diploma from a post-secondary program in museum studies or technology, information studies, art history, visual art, history or a related discipline.
- Experience working with relational databases.
- Experience using SQL and developing and designing reports, especially Crystal Reports.
- Previous experience with a museum collections management database, especially MIMSY XG, is an asset.
- Familiarity with thesauri, documentation standards, and museum cataloguing is an asset.
- Previous experience and demonstrated knowledge of art, cultural institutions and the museum environment is an asset.
- Satisfactory Criminal Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening required.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Excellent time-management skills with the ability to prioritize tasks to meet deadlines.
- Well-developed presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Sound judgment.
- Sensitivity to confidentiality and privacy issues associated with museum work.
SALARY AND TERMS:
Position Title: Collections Data Assistant
Rate of Pay: $22.00/hour
Work Location: Agnes Etherington Art Centre, Queen’s University, Kingston
Hours: 35 hours/week
Work Term: 17 weeks
Apply via email. Please submit a cover letter, résumé and contact information for three (3) references to Jennifer Nicoll, Collections Manager/Exhibition Coordinator, Agnes Etherington Art Centre, Queen’s University at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline: 16 December 2016